Only one phone in list of seizures from arrested DSP Devender Kumar: CBI’s new probe officer - watsupptoday.com
Only one phone in list of seizures from arrested DSP Devender Kumar: CBI’s new probe officer
Posted 31 Oct 2018 04:51 PM

Agencies
The CBI’s new investigating officer Satish Dagar Tuesday informed a Special Court that a seizure list had shown only one mobile phone, and not several articles, being recovered from accused DSP Devender Kumar during a search on October 20. Kumar was arrested in connection with the bribery allegations involving Special Director Rakesh Asthana.

Dagar was responding to an application filed by Kumar’s lawyer who had alleged tampering of seven mobile phones, one iPad and an external hard drive which, he said, had been seized on October 20, but not shown in the CBI seizure list. The lawyer, Amit Tyagi, said that only one mobile phone was shown in the seizure memo of the CBI.

Dagar, who took over the investigation on October 24 from previous IO A K Bassi, submitted to the court that as per the search list, one mobile phone was “seized” during the search proceedings. He said that after the took over, Kumar’s son made an oral complaint to him on October 25 regarding seizing of “several mobile phones, one Ipad and one external Hard Disk” by Inspector Dinesh Kumar without getting any recept and also without entering the same in the search list.

“That prompt action on the complaint was taken and it was found that Shri Banwari Lal, Assistant Programmer, CBI, TAFSU was in possession of 7 mobile phones, one external hard disk and one Apple iPad, which he informed that the same were given to him by Inspector Dinesh Kumar retrieving the data. All these articles (were) taken over,” said Dagar in his response.

Tyagi alleged: “CBI has tampered with the evidence…these articles were handed over to the technical department…on October 22—two days later. What happened during these two days?” he asked.

The Handing Over Memo dated October 26 was given by Banwari Lal to Inspector Sanjay Kant Jha under the new IO. In the memo, Lal said that all “remaining articles” — articles which were not part of the original seizure memo — were not kept in “sealed condition”, and were in envelopes “closed by cello tape”. The Special Court did not pass any order on the seizure list Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the court ordered accused that Devender Kumar and alleged middleman Manoj Prasad be sent to 14 days judicial custody. It posted the matter for arguments on bail for Wednesday. Kumar’s lawyer Tyagi said: “He (Kumar) has a threat to his life in jail. Please do not send him in jail…” At this, Special Judge Santosh Snehi Mann said: “We cannot go on undermining the institution like this…we are not above the system.”

Leave a comment: (Your email will not be published)