Man arrested over Christchurch bomb threat - watsupptoday.com
Man arrested over Christchurch bomb threat
Posted 11 May 2019 03:22 PM

Agencies:

New Zealand police have arrested a man in Christchurch after a suspected explosive device was found on a vacant block near one of the mosques targeted in the NZ massacre.

The arrest comes six weeks after accused Aussie gunman Brenton Tarrant allegedly killed 50 Muslims in two shooting attacks on Christchurch mosques.

The site of the threat is a two-minute drive from the Linwood Islamic Centre, one of the mosques targeted in the March 15 massacre.

Police cordoned off streets in the Phillipstown area of the city, with a bomb disposal team, ambulance and fire and emergency crews sent to an empty block, according to a police statement.

Canterbury District Commander Superintendent John Price said the Defence Force bomb squad had now made the package safe.

“Police have located a package containing a suspected explosive device and ammunition at a vacant address on Newcastle Street in Christchurch,” he said.

“A 33-year-old man has been arrested and is currently speaking to police in regards to the incident.”

No further details were available about the nature of the incident but New Zealand media reported there had been a potential bomb threat.

Leave a comment: (Your email will not be published)