Not possible to stop suicide attacks, response important: BSF DG -
Not possible to stop suicide attacks, response important: BSF DG
Posted 05 Oct 2017 10:52 AM

While it is not possible to stop suicide attacks, the security response to such attempts is more important, BSF Director General K K Sharma said, a day after terrorists struck a camp of the border-guarding force here.
Sharma also said that suicide attacks on security forces in Kashmir will continue as long as Pakistan does not rein in militants.
“So long our friendly neighbour (Pakistan) does not behave, I think we can expect many more attacks,” Sharma said.
He was talking to mediapersons during a wreath-laying ceremony for Assistant Sub Inspector B K Yadav, who was killed in the attack on the Gogoland BSF camp on Tuesday.
“The Fidayeens are determined. We cannot stop the attack of the Fidayeens. They will always manage to come but it is the response which is important. The response of BSF was highly professional,” he said.
“I am sure you know the kind of damage done in suicide attacks in the past. By comparison, you can say the BSF has acquitted itself very well and I am proud of the boys,” Sharma added.
Asked if the security around BSF camps will be beefed up, the BSF DG said the security situation is reviewed from time to time.
“We get inputs regularly about the possibility of attacks on static locations. That is how we were able to deal with this attack with minimum damage,” he added.
Sharma went to describe details of the terror strike and how it was thwarted.
The weapon room of the BSF camp seemed to the target of the terrorists, he said, adding that their attempt was foiled by an alert sentry who challenged them.
“As soon as they (terrorists) were fired upon, they spread out in different directions. One went towards the SO’s mess, another went inside the administration block and the third one ran towards the canteen but was neutralised by the two guards there.
“The militant who went to SOs’ mess fired upon (ASI) Yadav who was in his room. Yadav fought bravely but unfortunately he received a bullet to the head. There were other officers in the mess who had returned from patrolling duty and had their weapons with them. They killed the second terrorist,” he said.
Sharma said a Quick Response Team from Humhama camp and some senior officers of the force came in to help.
“After marking out the location of the third terrorist, they waited for the first light. By that time the Rashtriya Rifles, SOG (Special Operations Group) and CRPF also joined the operation. The soldiers then tactfully forced the militant to come out of the building and neutralised him.”

Leave a comment: (Your email will not be published)