Annual Jhiri mela from Nov 3 - watsupptoday.com
Annual Jhiri mela from Nov 3
Posted 03 Nov 2017 10:41 AM

Agencies

The annual Jhiri Mela, one of North India’s biggest congregations, will begin on November 3. Around five lakh devotees from different parts of the country are expected to pay obeisance at the shrine of Baba Jitmal (Baba Jitto) this year.
The Jhiri Mela has received the highest-ever successful financial bids of Rs 66.14 lakh, including parking bid, for organising the mela this year.
“We have made all arrangements for the fair to be organised from November 3 to 12. The facilities for devotees have been upgraded. We are expecting nearly 5 lakh devotees this year,” said Mohammad Alyas Khan, Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), Marh, and mela officer.
He said the highest-ever financial bid of Rs 63.07 lakh was made by Kuldeep Magotra for organising the mela. Besides, they allotted the parking tender on a bid of Rs 3.07 lakh.
“Nearly 60 per cent of the amount will be deposited by the successful bidder within 24 hours after the finalisation of the tender while the remaining 40 percent within 48 hours,” the SDM said, adding that they have decided to create a complaint cell in the mela to address the grievances of the public.
A large number of devotees pay obeisance at the shrine of Baba Jitto and take a holy dip in the pond known as “Babe-da-Talab”, which is said to have powers to cure skin diseases.
The annual fair is held to commemorate the martyrdom of Baba Jitto, who fought against the exploitation of farmers for years.

Leave a comment: (Your email will not be published)